Hey there, how has it been since the last time?
So I’m looking forward writing a few articles here, and I figured I ought to find a good magic card software to give life to my designs. I do have a requirement that I don’t feel like installing software. It’s 2013! The creator’s tool will have to be online. unless I really need extra features and don’t like what I find on the web, I won’t download a windows/mac program.
Let’s review a couple of them, and pick the one I’ll try to stick to. To do so, let’s pick a design and use those online editors to create versions of the card. I won’t go into the details of that one, but I find it fun and not *so* far from being balanced.
- Saves your previous work (I wouldn’t rely on it).
- Fairly simple.
- I don’t like the mana symbols.
- Pretty non-flexible, with its two abilities and small rule text box.
- Magnificent rendering.
- Choice of edition symbol.
- Custom copyright etc text, if you’re into that.
- Easy symbol buttons.
- Limited to making “classic” cards.
- Nice aspect.
- Very nice to use website.
- Good sharing abilities.
- Can make sweet planeswalkers.
- Couple of fun edition symbols, albeit not real ones.
- Weird passive ability showing after the activated ones (maybe I couldn’t figure it out).
- Good visuals (the illustration glitch is my fault).
- Lots of different styles like classic, modern, futuresight…
- Got to learn the syntax for special symbols. There’s lots of them though.
- Doesn’t have picture upload or crop.
- No edition symbol.
- Gets out of bandwith every now and then.
- Hybrid card backgrounds.
- Fairly easy to use.
- Good looks.
- Weird edition and mana symbols.
- Couple of quirks with fonts and line breaks.
So let’s pick a winner 🙂
- Mtg Cardsmith. Sweet website, easy to use, pretty cards. What else do you want? I hope I can figure out how to order the text though, because this is a little annoying.
- Mtg Card Maker. A little simple but if you wanna go for simple, use it over Cardsmith.
- Construct A Card.com. Good, but there’s enough choice here to not have to use that one. Use it for hybrids.
- Shenafu’s Card Creator. Some downsides but has lots of fun backgrounds. Also I used it quite a bit in the past so it gets a little bump for free.
- FalseBlue Magic. Sorry buddy.
There you go. That was a lot of card making. I’m pretty happy I got to know those websites, and now I’ll have all the choice in the world if I want to do something special.
I hope this will help you make some awesome cards; then send them to me! 🙂